Moving Overseas? Things You Need to Know

If you are planning on moving overseas from Australia, whether for a few years or permanently, there are a few things you should do to tie up loose ends, especially when it comes to your finances.

1. Get All of the Necessary Paperwork Done

You will want to let all important businesses (that send you bills) know that you're moving overseas and sort out final payments for these before you leave. This includes your bank, your super funds, insurance providers, your accountant, the ATO and so on. Australia Post offers a free Notify Organisations service to help you do this, but they do have a limited provider list available, so you may still have to do some directly.

You can also have Australia Post redirect your mail overseas (or to another Australian address - maybe your family?) for up to 12 months. This can be quite costly though, but could be helpful if you still have some outstanding bills and invoices you need to receive.

2. Get Travel Insurance

While travel insurance is always a good idea, you should also check if it is a requirement of your visa - you may be required to have travel insurance for the entire time you're overseas and you may need to do a bit of research to find the right policy depending on which country you are moving to and how long you intend on staying for.

Hands doing paperwork

3. Sort Out Your Finances

It's a good idea to see an accountant before you leave as there can be many tax implications associated with a permanent or long-term overseas move. For example - should you become a non-resident for tax purposes, and which country will you need to pay tax in? This will be helpful in making sure you won't be double taxed.

You'll also need to sort out a bank account. First up - do you need to close your bank account in Australia? If you're moving overseas for good then you may want to, but if you still need it to pay bills and so on, then you may want to keep it open.

Once you're settled in your new country you will want to look at setting up a new bank account there, and once that is done, you can use a money transfer service like GlobalSend to have your money moved from your Australian account to your new bank account.

In the meantime though, you will want to make sure you have access to money for "settling-in expenses", like connecting utilities, food, bills, transport and so on. To be safe, maybe consider having multiple ways of accessing this money - take some cash with you (we can help you get the best exchange rate before you go), a travel money card and a credit or debit card (if you don't cancel these before you go). Just check your card will work in the country you're moving to, and let the bank know you're moving so they don't freeze your cards.

4. Sort Out Your Personal Records

You will want to take all of your important documents with you, such as birth and marriage certificates, citizenship documents, divorce and custody arrangements if applicable, police checks, education qualifications and so on.

It's a good idea to take the originals with you, as well as certified copies to leave in a separate place. You should also leave copies with friends or family in Australia in case anything happens to the originals or your copies.

We'd also suggest taking photocopies of your bank cards, passport, licence etc and keeping them in a safe place.

Finally, before you go, have a look at what documents you might need to open a bank account overseas and make sure you take originals and copies of those documents too. Different countries and different banks have different requirements, so you'll need to do some research into banks in your new country.

Planning move on computer

5. Look Into Your Superannuation

Australia has bilateral social security arrangements with a number of countries and this helps remove issues of double superannuation payments, but you'll need to look into this before you go. You can chat to  your accountant or contact the Australian Taxation Office to address any questions you might have before you go.

There are loads more things that should be on your checklist if you're moving overseas - it's a big task. But hopefully this will cover some of the top finance to-do's to help you get on the right track.

If you need any help sorting out a travel money card or money transfer overseas, your Travel Money Oz consultant is here to help. Just visit your nearest store or call us on 1300 426 997 today.



This blog is provided for information only and does not take into consideration your objectives, financial situation or needs.  You should consider whether the information and suggestions contained in any blog entry are appropriate for you, having regard to your own objectives, financial situation and needs.  While we take reasonable care in providing the blog, we give no warranties or representations that it is complete or accurate, or is appropriate for you.  We are not liable for any loss caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise, arising from use of, or reliance on, the information and/or suggestions contained in this blog.

Janelle Strickland

Janelle has 6 years of experience working in the travel industry as a digital marketer, with the last two specialising in Travel Money. Coming from a background of Journalism and English, Janelle enjoys writing copy for blogs, websites and social media, and has written guest posts for both Cruiseabout and Travel Money Oz.