Indo para o Brasil? If you're heading to vibrant, dazzling, enchanting Brazil for your next holiday, you may want to brush up on your Portuguese before you go. You should also look into getting your Brazilian Reais ready so you have money available for samba dancing in Salvador, whale-watching off the coast, sightseeing in Rio and all that beautiful Brazil has to offer.
Luckily, at Travel Money Oz, we specialise in making your foreign exchange simple, so we can help you organise your BRL's at the best exchange rate available!
Introduced to Brazil in 1994, the Brazilian Real is divided into 100 centavos (cents). In 2010, a new series of banknotes was introduced, with added security enhancements and featuring different sized notes, designed to help vision-impaired people.
The BRL is also sometimes used in the neighbouring countries of Uruguay and Paraguay.
To get your foreign exchange organised before you go, just speak to one of our Travel Money Experts in any of our 130+ stores in Australia. Or, you can also order online whenever you want and pick up your BRL from your closest Travel Money Oz store.
Centavo - 5, 10, 25, 50; Real - R$1
Real - R$2, R$5, R$10, R$20, R$50, R$100
How do I get my BRL?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? BRL Currency Facts
- In Portuguese, the word "real" means both royal and real
- Instead of using a decimal point for the decimal separator, the Brazilian reals have a comma. The thousands separator for Brazilian money is the period. So, R$6,00 is actually 6 reais, not R$600, while R$6.000 is six thousand reais
- The female effigy on all Brazilian banknotes, a young woman wearing a crown of bay leaves, is an important symbol of the Brazilian Republic
- Each Brazilian banknote has a different animal on the back, for example, the R$20 has a golden lion tamarin and the R$100 has a dusky grouper, a type of fish
- A constellation is printed on each Brazilian coin
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to BRL exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your BRL exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange BRL to AUD?
Have some Brazil reais left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!