Snowboarding in Whistler and surfing swells in Nova Scotia. Flaky croissants in Montreal and poutine in Quebec. Polar bears in Manitoba and hot springs in Banff.
Canada is waiting for you! But, don't forget to get your Canadian dollars before you go!
The Canadian dollar, the official currency of Canada, is often called a loonie - so don't worry if you hear this a bit on your trip, the Canadians aren't referring to you.
Divided into 100 cents, the CAD includes 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins, as well as $1 and $1 coins. The most common banknotes used are the $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills, but you may also find some $500 and $1000 notes around.
In 2011, the Central Bank of Canada issued a new series of polymer banknotes, that were designed to be more secure, easier to handle and last longer than paper notes, much like the notes in Oz are.
CAD C$ or $
Cents & dollars - 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2
Dollars - $5, $10, $20, $50, $100
How do I get my CAD?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? CAD Currency Facts
- The term "loonie" comes from the image on the $1 coin. It is a picture of the national bird of Canada, the loon.
- When the $2 coin was introduced in 1996, it became known as a "toonie" - or two loonies.
- The new banknotes have been said to smell like maple syrup - go on, give them a sniff!
- Between 1870 and 1923, Canada had a 25-cent banknote in circulation, known as a "shinplaster"
- Prior to 1937, banknotes were issued in both English and French, but after this they were changed to a bilingual format.
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
Need to exchange CAD to AUD?
Have some Canada Dollars left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them? We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!
Have some Canada Dollars left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!