From the unbelievable ruins of Angkor, to beautiful temples, secluded beaches, genuine locals and pleasant villages, a holiday in Cambodia promises to be magical.
While we don’t keep stock of Cambodian riels in our stores and it can't be ordered through our website, we can do a special order of riels for you (with enough notice) before you go. US dollars are also widely accepted in Cambodia, so that is another foreign currency exchange option for you.
We can organise one or the other for you, or you can decide to take a bit of both – either way, we can help you organise your FX before you go.
If you’re going to be travelling to rural areas of Cambodia, you will need KHR, so keep this in mind when arranging your FX. If you decide to use USDs in urban Cambodia, you will receive change in KHR as US coins are not in circulation in the country.
If you have any questions around taking KHR (or another currency) into Cambodia, you can get all the help you need from one of our Travel Money Experts instore.
50, 100, 200, 500 riels
50, 100, 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000, 100,000 riels
Did you know? KHR Currency Facts
- It is a popular belief that the name ‘Riel’ comes from the Mekong River fish, but it is more likely to have come from the Mexican Real which was used in Cambodia in the mid-19th century
- In some border towns, such as Koh Kang or Ha Tien, you may be able to use the currency of the neighbouring country – THB or VND
- Khmer is the traditional name of Cambodia, so the currency is also known as the Khmer Riel
- ATMs in Cambodia dispense both KHR and USD
- The 1,000 and 2,000 KHR banknotes are the most popular
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz