Colombia has recently emerged as a hidden gem in Latin America’s crown, with undiscovered land, isolated beaches, contrasting landscapes and striking colonial architecture to explore. We bet you can’t wait to see it all! Just make sure that you have some pesos with you (or maybe USD) before you go so that you don’t need to worry about getting your foreign exchange sorted when you arrive in Colombia.
Many businesses in Colombia will accept USD as payment, but you may cop a higher exchange rate if you pay this way. If you don’t take pesos with you, we do recommend taking some USD instead, as many exchange outlets will only exchange USD for COP, and you may find your Aussie dollars are not accepted. Beware of exchanging money on the street in Colombia, or when crossing borders, as scams are common. Rather go to reputable exchange bureaus or banks, or better yet, just sort it out before you go. The import and export of local and foreign currency in Colombia is unlimited, but any amounts larger than US$10,000 (or equivalent) must be declared.
If you have any questions around taking COP (or another currency) into Colombia, you can get all the help you need from one of our Travel Money Experts instore. Alternatively, you can order your COP or USD (or a mix of both) on our website at any time, and just pick it up instore when it’s convenient for you.
20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1,000 pesos
1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 pesos
How do I get my COP?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? COP Currency Facts
- If you use a credit card as payment while in Colombia, you will need to show ID to complete the transaction
- Many ATMs have a daily withdrawal limit and may run out of money on weekends, so it can be best to withdraw your money during the week instead
- Centavos were introduced in 1819 but weren’t used as coins until 1872
- In 2010, a 2,000 peso banknote including the number “2” expressed in Braille was introduced
- The peso has been the currency of Colombia since 1810 when it replaced the real
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to COP exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your COP exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange COP to AUD?
Have some Colombia Pesos left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!