Egypt presents a heady mix of the ancient, the exotic and the fascinating to any world traveller. From the ancient Egyptian Pyramids and the Great Sphinx of Giza, to diving in the Red Sea and exploring bustling souqs, Egypt has something for everyone. But, remember to stock up on the local currency – the Egyptian Pound – before you go, so that you can do whatever it is that takes your Egyptian fancy.
The Egyptian pound is the official currency of Egypt, but locally you may see the abbreviation for Le or L.E, which stands for livre egyptienne (French for Egyptian pound). All EGP banknotes are bilingual, with Arabic text and numerals on the obverse, and English text and Arabic numerals on the reverse. You will find that Egypt is very much a cash-based society, and it can be useful to keep small denomination notes on hand for taxi drivers, tips and other places that don’t accept card payments. The import and export of EGP is limited to EGP 500, while foreign currency is restricted to US$10,000 (or the equivalent).
If you want to get your pounds sorted before your holiday, you can order your foreign exchange at any of our 120+ stores in Australia or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience.
25, 50 pt; E£1
E£5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200
How do I get my EGP?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? EGP Currency Facts
- The E£1 coin features Tutankhamun’s mask, while the 50 pt (piastres) coin shows Cleopatra’s head
- EGP banknotes feature Islamic buildings on one side and ancient Egyptian motifs on the other
- Don’t expect to find many ATMs outside of Cairo and Alexandria
- Until 1834, there was no specific monetary unit used in Egypt
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to EGP exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your EGP exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange EGP to AUD?
Have some Egypt Pounds left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!