Macau is all about glitz, large-scale casino resorts, a mixture of its Portuguese and Chinese history, dusky markets and iconic attractions. Located 65km to the west of Hong Kong, Macau is the only place in China where gambling is legal. But, whether you plan to casino hop or dig deeper into Macau's East-meets-West past, you can sort out your Macanese Pataca before you leave and make sure you have them ready to go when you land!
HKD bills and coins (with the exception of the HKD$10 coin) are accepted everywhere in Macau, so you could take either currency with you. Before you leave though, you should try to use up all of your Patacas as they are not easily exchanged into foreign currency once you get home. There are currently no restrictions on the import or export of either local or foreign currency into or from Macau.
If you want to get your MOP (or HKD) sorted before your Macau holiday, you can order your FX at any of our stores or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience.
10, 20, 50 avos, MOP$1, MOP$2, MOP$5, MOP$10
MOP$10, MOP$20, MOP$50, MOP$100, MOP$500, MOP$1,000
How do I get my MOP?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? MOP Currency Facts
- MOP banknotes are printed in Portuguese and in Chinese because of Macau's mixed past
- The Chinese Yuan is also generally accepted in Macau
- The current issue of banknotes are the same size as that of the Hong Kong banknotes worth the corresponding number of dollars
- The highest value note, MOP$1,000, was issued on 8 August 1988 - a date that occurs only once per century. In Chinese, the number "8" (ba) is similar to "getting rich" (fa), which gives the note special meaning
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to MOP exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your MOP exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange MOP to AUD?
Have some Macao Patacas left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!