“Mauritius was made first and then heaven, heaven being copied after Mauritius.” – Mark Twain. If you’re heading to this heavenly paradise, you’re in for sapphire waters, powder-white beaches, an entrancing blend of cultures, luxurious resorts, outstanding hiking and world-class dining. And, if you let us sort out your foreign currency for you before you go, you will have even more time to sit back, relax and soak it all in, rather than thinking about exchange rates.
Divided into 100 cents, the MUR is the official currency of Mauritius, a French overseas department. It is very unusual for businesses to accept currency other than MUR as payment, but if they do, you might be able to pay in EUR, ZAR, GBP or USD, and you will receive your change in MUR. There are no import or export restricitions on MUR or foreign currency in Mauritius, but if you plan to take more than MUR 500,000 (or equivalent), it must be declared upon arrival into the country.
If you want to get your MUR sorted before your holiday, you can order your foreign exchange at any of our stores or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience. If you are bringing rupees into Australia, our Travel Money Experts can also help you out with exchanging those into AUD – just visit any of our 120+ stores in Australia for today’s sell rate.
5 cents, 20 cents, ₨½, ₨ 1, ₨ 5, ₨ 10, ₨ 20
₨ 25, ₨ 50, ₨ 100, ₨ 200, ₨ 500, ₨ 1000, ₨ 2000
How do I get my MUR?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? MUR Currency Facts
- The Mauritian currency was also used in the Seychelles until 1914
- As a security feature the 2,000 rupee note features a hologram containing images of the dodo and the value “2,000”
- In 2001, a Rs 100 commemorative coin was issued to celebrate the centenary of the arrival of Mahatma Gandhi in Mauritius
- In the current series of banknotes, each note bears a hand engraved portrait of a prominent Mauritian figure
- Coins below 1 rupee in value are generally regarded as “supermarket” small-change
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to MUR exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your MUR exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange MUR to AUD?
Have some Mauritus Rupees left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!