Mexico welcomes you with all of this and more! It's as spicy as salsa, as intoxicating as tequila, and as colourful as a pinata. While you're diving off the coast of Cozumel, discovering Mexico's Mayan culture and partying all night in Cancun, you'll probably need to brush up on Spanish phrases, such as- Cuánto cuesta? How much does it cost? While we can't help you with your language skills, we can help you sort out your pesos before you go.
While in Mexico, you may find that large banknotes are not commonly accepted, or may even be refused by some businesses. To buy a drink, get a taxi or buy souvenirs, you will be better off using small denomination coins and notes. You might be able to use US dollars in some of the bigger tourist areas, like Cancun, but you land up paying for this convenience as the exchange rate may not be the best. You can bring up to US$10,000 worth of pesos into Mexico, but anything more must be declared. You must also declare any amount of foreign currency you import. The same restrictions apply for exporting local and foreign currency.
If you want to get your pesos sorted before your holiday, you can order your foreign exchange at any of our 120+ stores or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience.
5¢, 10¢, 20¢, 50¢, $1, $2, $5, $10, $20
$20, $50, $100, $200, $500, $1,000
How do I get my MXN?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? MXN Currency Facts
- The Mexican peso is the 8th most traded currency in the world
- The MXN was briefly legal tender in Siam in the 19th century
- Some USA, Guatemalan and Belizean border towns may accept Pesos too
- The Mex$1,000 note is difficult to change and is often not accepted, so you won't see many of these on your trip
- The literal translation of the Spanish word "peso" is "weight"
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to MXN exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your MXN exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange MXN to AUD?
Have some Mexico Pesos left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!