Planning on wine-tasting on Waiheke Island, skiing in Queenstown, bungy jumping from the historic Kawarau Bridge or indulging your inner hobbit with a Lord of the Rings tour in Matamata? No matter what your New Zealand adventure is made up of, you're going to need some Kiwi dollars before you go, and at Travel Money Oz, we can help you get the best deal on your AUD to NZD exchange!
The NZD is the official currency of the Realm of New Zealand, which includes New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Niue, the Ross Dependency, Tokelau and the Pitcairn Islands. The dollar is broken up into cents, with 100 cents making up $1.
There are no restrictions as to how many NZ dollars you can bring in to or take out of New Zealand, but if you carry more than NZ$10,000 in cash, in or out of NZ, you have to complete a Border Cash Report - just something to keep in mind!
If you have more questions about your AUD to NZD exchange, speak to one of our Travel Money Experts in any of our 130+ stores across Australia. Or, if you've already sorted your budget - order online whenever you want and pick up your NZD from your closest Travel Money Oz store.
NZD NZ$ or $
Cents & dollars - 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2
Dollars - $5, $10, $20, $50, $100
How do I get my NZD?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? NZD Currency Facts
- In 1992, the image of Queen Elizabeth II was replaced on all but the $20 banknote. The new design featured notable New Zealanders - like Sir Edmund Hillary - and native New Zealand birds and scenery
- Before the currency was named the dollar, names like "kiwi" and "zeal" were suggested. In the currency trading world, the NZD is commonly called the "kiwi" anyway
- All coins still feature the image of the Queen on the front, but on the reverse are images of a bird, a ship, a Maori carving, a mountain and a silver fern
- The 20c coin features the Maori carving image, which is that of an 18th century Maori warrior called Pukaki
- As the 1c, 2c, and 5c coins have been discontinued, purchases made in NZ are rounded up or down as per the Swedish Rounding System
Want to see how far your New Zealand dollars will take you? Check out our Travel Money Guide here for expert tips and destination costs.
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to NZD exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your NZD exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange NZD to AUD?
Have some New Zealand dollars left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!