Oman offers travellers an invigorating blend of traditional Arabia, with its low-rise towns, Bedouin values and pride in its ancient frankincense-trading past, mixed with the modern face of lively cities, modern Islamic architecture and fine museums. Whether you want to get lost in the labyrinth of a colourful souk, attempt a hiking trail in the Western Hajar, discover the maze that is Jabrin fort, or sleep out in the dunes of the Whabia Sands, a holiday in Oman promises you an unforgettable experience. While you are there, you will need some local currency, the Omani Rial, to experience it all, and we can help you organise this before you go.
The Omani Rial is divided into 1,000 baisa, and is pegged to the US dollar. There are no restrictions on the import and export of local currency, and the only foreign currency restriction in place is that the Israeli New Shekel is prohibited from being brought into Oman. If you want to get your OMR sorted before your holiday, you can order your FX at any of our stores or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience.
5, 10, 25, 50, 100 baisa
100, 200 baisa, 1⁄2, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 rials
How do I get my OMR?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? OMR Currency Facts
- Before 1940, the Indian Rupee and the Maria Theresa thaler were the main currencies used in Muscat and Oman
- The Omani Rial was only introduced in 1972, after a regime change in 1970
- The Central Bank of Oman operates a Currency Museum in its headquarters building
- A new 1 rial banknote is in circulation alongside the 1970 banknote, which is still accepted
- The 100 baisa and 20 rial notes are both green in colour, but the former is much smaller so that you can tell them apart easily
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
Need to exchange OMR to AUD?
Have some Oman Rials left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!