Drawn to the palm-shaped islands, city-sized malls, indoor ski slopes and palatial beach resorts of Dubai? Excited by the idea of camel rides and sandboarding sessions in the desert? Crave the thrill of the world's fastest roller coaster at Abu Dhabi's Ferrari World? Want to be awed by majestic mosques and the Emirates Palace?
No matter where in the United Arab Emirates you are planning to go, you will find a wealth of things to spend your Emirati dirhams on, so make sure you stock up on your AED and place your order online before you go!
The Emirati dirham is the official currency of the emirates, and gets its name from the Greek word "Drachmae" which means "handful". Dirham notes come in 8 different denominations - 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000, as well as a number of coins. The dirham is divided into 100 fils (فلس), and you should try to keep coins and small notes on hand as it can be tricky to get change from 500 and 1000 dirham notes.
If you are unsure of what you need for your UAE holiday or stopover, just speak to one of our Travel Money Experts in any of our 130+ stores in Australia. Or, if you've already sorted your budget - order online whenever you want and pick up your AED from your closest Travel Money Oz store.
AED د.إ - Dirham; فلس - Fils
فلس25, فلس50, د.إ 1
د.إ 5, د.إ 10, د.إ 20, د.إ 50, د.إ 100, د.إ 200, د.إ 500, د.إ 1000
How do I get my AED?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? AED Currency Facts
- The plural of fils is fuloos - so 1 dirham is made up of 100 fuloos
- Before the AED was introduced, Abu Dhabi used the Bahraini dinar as its currency
- Banknotes feature images of landmarks, Emirati scenes or traditional artefacts or emblems of the UAE, such as the Zayed Sports City and the ancient fort in Al Ain
- AED coins have text and numerals denoted in Arabic
- In Dubai, don't expect to spend too many dirhams between the hours of 1 and 4pm, as many of the stores and souks take their lunch break during this time
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to AED exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your AED exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange AED to AUD?
Have some UAE dirhams left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!