Budget planning tool
Punch in your holiday deets in the tool below to help you plan your spending money.
On foreign exchange rates when you order with Travel Money Oz.
Pick up locally
Pick up your EUR with no hassles from one of our many stores across Australia.
Planning your trip to Europe
Holiday Budget Calculator
We get it, doing your holiday budget is a snore fest. It's important though, so we've made it super easy for you to do now. Just punch in your holiday deets and we'll combine destination spend data with our exchange rates so you know how much to take. Easy peasy budget donesy!
About the Euro
Where the Euro is used
You’ll need to swap AUD to euro when travelling to any of these countries:
Andora, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Vatican City.
Coins and notes
Like the Australian dollar, the euro (€) is divided into 100 cents (c). Euro coins come in 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, €1 and €2 denominations. Euro notes are available in €5, €10, €20, €50, €100, €200 and €500 denominations. While there have been calls for the introduction of €1 and €2 banknotes, these aren’t currently printed (fun fact: producing these would likely cost more than €1 per note!).
About the currency
- The euro was introduced in 1999, though the notes and coins weren’t physically issued until 2002.
- Lithuania is the country that switched most recently to the euro, having done so in 2015. Better late than never!
- Euro notes are made from pure cotton fibre. This makes them more durable and gives them their unique texture.
- Each euro note has its own distinctive colour and a design that represents a different artistic period of European architecture. Very fancy indeed.
- The reverse (tails) side of every euro coin features a map of Europe and the value of the coin. However, each country that uses the euro has its own designs for the obverse (heads) side.