If your next holiday is taking you to the beautiful island paradise of French Polynesia, New Caledonia or Wallis and Futuna, you may be wondering what currency you will need while you’re there. As French Overseas Collectives, all of these islands use the CFP Franc (or just the franc) as their official currency.
All CFP franc banknotes are identical across the islands, but there are two sets of coins. One side of the coins in the same, while the other side either says Nouvelle-Caledonie (in New Caledonia and Wallis and Futuna), or Polynesie Francaise (in French Polynesia). Both sets of coins can be used in all three French territories.
The CFP Franc (or XPF) is fixed to the Euro at a rate of 1 Euro = 119 XPF. It varies in value compared to other currencies accordingly. The import and export restrictions of local and foreign currency is the same as that of France – EUR 10,000 or more (or equivalent) must be declared.
If you want to get your XPF sorted before your trip, you can order your foreign exchange at any of our stores or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience. If you are bringing XPF into Australia, our Travel Money Experts can also help you out with exchanging those into AUD – just visit any of our 120+ stores in Australia for today’s sell rate.
1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 francs
500, 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 francs
How do I get my XPF?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? XPF Currency Facts
- The CFP Franc was created in 1945 because of the weakness of the French franc after WWII
- All XPF banknotes show landscapes or historical figures of French Polynesia on one side, and New Caledonia on the other
- Before the French regulated the currency in Tahiti, French Polynesia traders often used dollars (or tara in the native language)
- Australia and New Zealand dollars are widely accepted in tourist businesses in New Caledonia, but the exchange rate may not be favourable
- From 1949 to 1985, the CFP was used in 3 distinct forms for New Hebrides, French Polynesia and New Caledonia
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to XPF exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your XPF exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange XPF to AUD?
Have some New Caledonia Francs left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!