Heading to Hong Kong for your next trip?
Whether you plan to tram it up to the top of Victoria Peak, take in the sights and smells of Temple Street Night Market, visit the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island or indulge in a night of Cantonese opera, tango or karaoke - you're going to need some Hong Kong dollars ready to go.
Luckily, at Travel Money Oz we can offer you great rates on your AUD to HKD exchange.
The Hong Kong dollar is the official currency of Hong Kong, but it is also used in Macau as the two regions are close to each other and have currencies that have similar exchange rates.
The dollar is broken into 100 cents, or sin in Cantonese. The amount of 10 cents is called 1 houh in Cantonese, but a common English term for the HKD - especially for Western expats living in Hong Kong - is "honkie".
HKD HK$ or $
Cents & dollars - 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2, $5, $10
Dollars - $10, $20, $50, $100, $150, $500, $1000
How do I get my HKD?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? HKD Currency Facts
- In Hong Kong, coins are issued by the Government, but banknotes are issued by 3 commercial banks
- HKD banknotes contain text written in English and Chinese, along with Arabic numerals
- When British rule of Hong Kong ended, they replaced the image of Queen Elizabeth II on HKD coins with an image of the Bauhinia flower
- The HKD is currently the 13th most traded currency in the world
- Hong Kong is considered to be a highly free-market with a highly developed economy, and is part of the Four Asian Tigers - a phrase referring to Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan
Want to see how far your HKD will take you? Check out our Travel Money Guide here for expert tips and destination costs.
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
Need to exchange HKD to AUD?
Have some Hong Kong dollars left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them? We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!
Have some Hong Kong dollars left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!