South Africa is full of natural wonder, adventure, sport and wildlife. From the big game safaris of Kruger National Park to the dazzling nightlife in beautiful Cape Town, there is so much to see and do across this diverse land. South Africa is a multi-ethnic society where you will find a wide variety of cultures, religions and 11 official languages with English widely spoken.
There are limits on the amount of currency you can bring into South Africa. Any amounts higher than 25,000 ZAR or US $10,000 (or equivalent in other currencies) should be declared upon entry.
If you want to get your ZAR sorted before your holiday, you can order your FX at any of our stores or order it online whenever you want and just pick up instore at your convenience. If you are bringing ZAR into Australia, our Travel Money Experts can also help you out with exchanging those into AUD – just visit any of our 120+ stores in Australia for today’s sell rate.
R1, R2, R5, 5c, 10c, 20c
R10, R20, R50, R100, R200
How do I get my ZAR?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 1300 426 997.
Did you know? ZAR Currency Facts
- As a trading centre, multiple currencies circulated throughout South Africa.
- The first official currency used was the Guilder. During the late 17th century, the Rixdollar was used and was the first South African currency to include paper notes.
- During British occupation, in 1826, the Cape Colony was put on a sterling basis, though other currencies, including Spanish Dollars, US Dollars, French Francs, and Indian Rupees continued to circulate.
- In 1921, the Reserve Bank of South Africa was established as the central bank. In 1961, the South African Rand replaced the Pound under a decimalized system.
Want to see how far your Rand will take you? Check out our Travel Money Guide here for expert tips and destination costs.
Why exchange with Travel Money Oz
- We make your AUD to ZAR exchange simple
- Exchange at your convenience - we are open late and on weekends
- Or order your ZAR exchange online 24-7 and collect instore
- We don't charge fees and commission on cash or EFTPOS foreign currency transactions online or instore
- We offer a Best Rate Guarantee+
Need to exchange ZAR to AUD?
Have some South Africa Rands left over from your trip and aren't sure what to do with them?
We can help you with that too! Just visit us in store for our best rates and we'll gladly put Aussie dollars back in your pocket!