Budget planning tool
Punch in your holiday deets in the tool below to help you plan your spending money.
On foreign exchange rates when you order with Travel Money Oz.
Pick up locally
Pick up your Omani rial with no hassles from one of our many stores across Australia.
Planning your trip to Oman
Holiday Budget Calculator
We get it, doing your holiday budget is a snore fest. It's important though, so we've made it super easy for you to do now. Just punch in your holiday deets and we'll combine destination spend data with our exchange rates so you know how much to take. Easy peasy budget donesy!
About the currency
Coins and notes
Omani currency is easy to understand – just remember that baisas are like cents (except 1,000 of them instead of 100), and rials are like dollars. That’s all there is to it really. You can get 10c, 25c, 50c, 100c, $¼ and $½ coins in Oman, and 50c, $½, $1, $5, $10, $25 and $100 banknotes (there’s also a now-discontinued $200 banknote, but it’s not often seen).
Facts about the currency
- The Omani rial is divided into 1,000 baisa and is pegged to the US dollar.
- In Oman, the only foreign currency restriction in place applies to the Israeli new shekel, which is prohibited from being brought into the country.
- Before 1940, the Indian rupee and the Maria Theresa thaler were the main currencies used in Oman.
- The Omani rial was only introduced in 1972, after a regime change.
- The Central Bank of Oman operates a Currency Museum in its headquarters building.
- A new 1 rial banknote is in circulation alongside the 1970 version, which is still accepted.
- The 100 baisa and 20 rial notes are both green in colour, but the former is much smaller so that you can tell them apart easily.
Check out our AUD to OMR chart above to find out how the Omani exchange rate stacks up against the Aussie dollar. If you’re in the process of deciding when to visit Oman, adjust the date range to see recent trends and an overview of the AUD to OMR exchange rate history. If you’re trying to keep an eye on how the currencies compare, sign up for currency alerts.